Customers Urged to Prepare, Stay Connected If Outages Occur
Weather forecasts are calling for strong winds and thunderstorms across large portions of New York this afternoon and into the evening. While National Grid is preparing its crews and storm response plans, we also urge customers to be safe and ready.
The company offers the following tips to help customers be prepared and stay safe:
Electricity & Generator Safety
- National Grid customers should call 1-800-867-5222 to report a power outage, or to report any downed wires.
- Customers are urged to stay away from all downed wires, and anything those wires might be touching like tree limbs or fencing.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger restoration crews, first responders and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home. Also, make sure to keep mobile devices charged.
- Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any repair crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
National Grid also advises staying tuned to local media for important announcements from emergency officials about possible evacuations or other emergency procedures. In most areas, information on storm shelter locations is available by calling 211.
National Grid offers several ways to stay informed and safe – before, during and after a storm:
- We can send personalized alerts by text, e-mail or phone call when an outage is detected at a customer’s address, restoration estimates are available, or weather warnings have been issued. To enroll, customers can call National Grid or text REG to 64743.
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of www.nationalgridus.com. Customers who create an online profile on our website can also sign up for email alerts.
- Online and text alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
- Other ways to stay in touch:
- Visit our website: nationalgridus.com.
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nationalgridus
- Friend us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/nationalgrid
Click here for a video on how National Grid restores power after a major storm.
# # #
About National Grid
National Grid (LSE: NG; NYSE: NGG) is an electricity, natural gas, and clean energy delivery company that supplies the energy for more than 20 million people through its networks in New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. It is the largest distributor of natural gas in the Northeast. National Grid also operates the systems that deliver gas and electricity across Great Britain.
National Grid is transforming its electricity and natural gas networks to support the 21st century digital economy with smarter, cleaner, and more resilient energy solutions. Read more about the innovative projects happening across our footprint in The Democratization of Energy, an eBook written by National Grid’s US president, Dean Seavers.