Crews and equipment to be mobilized in the event of power interruptions
Syracuse, N.Y. – With strong winds in the forecast for large portions of upstate New York, National Grid is increasing its overnight staffing and will have line crews report for duty earlier than normal tomorrow morning. The company is prepared for the upcoming weather and provides the following safety tips so customers can be prepared as well.
Electricity & Generator Safety
- If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online to expedite restoration.
- Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downed lines should be immediately reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or to your local emergency response organization.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage, must be operated outdoors to prevent the buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home and be sure to charge all electronic devices.
- Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
Stay Connected National Grid offers several ways to stay informed and safe – before, during and after a storm:
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of our website, www.nationalgridus.com. Customers who create an online profile on our website can also sign up for email alerts.
- To receive text message alerts and updates from National Grid, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743).
- Online and text alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
- Other ways to stay in touch:
- Visit our website: nationalgridus.com
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nationalgridus
- Friend us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/nationalgrid
Click here for a video on how National Grid restores power after a major storm.