Customers Urged to Prepare, Exercise Safety If Outages Occur
Weather forecasts are calling for strong winds and thunderstorms across large portions of upstate New York early evening. National Grid is preparing its storm response plans while urging customers to be safe and ready.
The company offers the following tips to help customers be prepared and stay safe:
Electricity & Generator Safety
- National Grid customers should call 1-800-867-5222 to report a power outage, or to report any downed wires.
- Customers are urged to stay away from all downed wires, and anything those wires might be touching like tree limbs or fencing.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger restoration crews, first responders and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home. Also, make sure to keep mobile devices charged.
- Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any repair crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
National Grid also advises staying tuned to local media for important announcements from emergency officials about possible evacuations or other emergency procedures. In most areas, information on storm shelter locations is available by calling 211.
National Grid offers several ways to stay informed and safe – before, during and after a storm:
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of www.nationalgridus.com. Customers who create an online profile on our website can also sign up for email alerts.
- To receive text message alerts and updates from National Grid, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743).
- Online and text alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.
- Other ways to stay in touch:
- Visit our website: nationalgridus.com.
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nationalgridus
- Friend us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/nationalgrid
Click here for a video on how National Grid restores power after a major storm.
# # #